With the recent Gmail update to 2.3.5 Google has blocked access to the Gmail database for all 3rd party apps. There are two ways to get around this but one will require you to have root.
1.) First method is to return to a previous gmail update by going to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Gmail->Uninstall Update.
After that you need to uninstall Notify Me. At this point your Gmail application should be back at its previous version (126.96.36.199), now reinstall notify me and your notifications will work again.
2.) The second method will allow you to use the the latest version of Gmail (2.3.5) but you need to be rooted and you CANNOT update the Gmail app if a new version comes out. Basically it’s a modified version of the Gmail app set to how the previous version was and there are two way to do this.
You can get a modified Gmail version here
Using Terminal Emulator app (for more advanced users)
- uninstall Notify Me
– copy the gmail modified apk to your sdcard
– open Terminal Emulator app
– type: ‘su’ (without the ”),gets past root, may have to restart app but only have to do this the first time as long you check the box to always allow
– ‘cd /data/app/’
– ‘rm com.google.android.gm*.apk’ (to remove the gmail update)
– ‘mount -oremount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system’ (remount the system-filesystem read/write)
*** be careful, the /dev/block/mtdblock4 may be different on your phone. tap ‘mount’ to check what is the ‘/system/’ mounted partition.
– ‘cd /system/app’
– ‘mv Gmail.apk Gmail.apk.stock’ (to backup the original Gmail application)
– ‘cp /sdcard/modded_gmail_apk_file_name /system/app’ (to install the Gmail modified version)
– install Notify Me
Using Root Explorer app (costs money though) **Recommended**
– copy the modified gmail app to your sdcard
– open Root Explorer and go to the ‘system’ folder
– now in the system folder open the ‘app’ folder
– click on the ‘Mount R/W’ button at the top so that it reads ‘Mount R/O’
– find the Gmail app and move it somewhere on your sdcard to use as a backup
– find the modified Gmail app you downloaded and move it to the system/app folder and click on it to install it
– install Notify Me